August 2017 Highlights: Tickets Selling Fast, FREE Educational Programs, AG2017
Are you coming to EAT THINK DRINK: Show Me the Green? Tickets are selling fast and we want to make sure you’re able to join us! By securing your spot, you’re getting access to all-you-can-eat food crafted by Honolulu’s most popular eateries, bottomless drinks shaken and stirred by Southern Glazers Wine & Spirits and endless conversation sparked by our inspiring panel.
Need more reasons to come? Take a peek at our menu of the innovative food dishes you’ll be able to taste and love all evening long!
The Hawaii Agricultural Foundation is dedicated to educating future farmers and stewards of our state’s agriculture industry. Through our free educational programs, we work to build a strong continuum of ag educational opportunities in grades K through 12.
Our education team is currently accepting applications for the following programs, at no cost to you or your school:
Veggie U Hawaii
Veggie U is a 5-unit, 25-lesson curriculum that provides students with a seed planting, growing and harvesting experience through hands-on, STEM-focused lessons. Through this program, teachers engage their students with interactive lesson plans pertaining to sustainable farming methods, our local agricultural and making healthy food choices.
Each classroom is provided with one "Veggie U Kit" to implement and teach the recommended lesson plans. Each kit comes with the following materials:
- Indoor grow light
- Root viewers
- Planting tools and materials
- Teacher curriculum with reproducible student worksheets and handouts
If you’re interested in bringing Veggie U to your classroom, please leave your information by clicking the button below.
Where Would We Be Without Seeds
Where Would We Be Without Seeds is a one-unit, three-lesson curriculum that focuses on foods grown from seeds, plant life cycles, local agriculture and the farming industry. The program focuses on answering four essential questions:
- Why are seeds important?
- How do plants go through life cycles?
- Where does our food come from?
- Why is agriculture in Hawaii important?
If you’re interested in bringing Where Would We Be Without Seeds to your classroom, please send the following information to Krysta Gallagher, education programs manager at Krysta@hawaiiagfoundation.org:
- Full Name:
- Phone Number:
Get involved in some of the state’s biggest ag-related initiatives at the 2017 Hawaii Agriculture Conference (AG2017), the premier all-agriculture conference in the state! Hosted by the Agricultural Leadership Foundation of Hawaii (ALFH), AG2017 will run August 29-30, 2017 at the Hawaii Convention Center.
This inspiring conference aims to bring stakeholders together to unite in focus and support of agriculture’s interests; to advance significant sector initiatives; and to build capacity, knowledge and collaboration across the sector. AG 2017 will address:
- Our $300 Ag Million Opportunity – Replacing just 10% of the food Hawai'i currently imports could generate $188 million in sales, $94 million for farmers, and create 2,300 jobs.
- Support Your Local Farms and Ranches – Demand for locally grown products are on the rise, yet re-establishing local food systems has never been more challenging.
- Sustain Our ʻĀina – For Future Generations: If we take care of the land, the land takes care of us. Hawai'i is on the front lines of climate change. We could be a world leader in sustainable food and energy production.
INSERT BUTTON: CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
You spoke and we listened! Your Local Insider will be delivered to your inbox earlier each week (every Friday, to be exact) to help you better plan and prepare your meals.
In addition to the extra early notice, we're also working on providing you with:
- More produce you use on a regular basis, based on customer feedback
- Better access to recipes on items you may not be familiar with
- More information on the produce in your bag
- A better understanding as to how your produce is grown and who is growing it
Have questions or comments regarding these improvements? Send us an email by clicking the button below!
The Hawaii Agricultural Foundation Team