November 2017 Highlights: Giving Tuesday, Updates to EAT THINK DRINK, Recruiting for Localicious 2018
Check out some of our top highlights from this month, including:
Tis the season for family, friends, food and shopping! While you prepare yourself for the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we want you to mark your calendars for the most important, generous day of them all: #GivingTuesday.
Known as the global day of giving, #GivingTuesday is celebrated on Tuesday, November 28, following Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and encourages consumers to take action and give back to local nonprofits – like us! When you donate to the Hawaii Agricultural Foundation on #GivingTuesday, you’re actually helping us keep our boots on the ground so we can work directly with local farmers, teachers and students to strengthen and grow the future leaders of the agriculture industry.
Here’s how your dollars translate into impact:
- A $25 donation provides a one-hour gardening and agriculture lesson to after-school students at Title I schools.
- A $50 donation funds one agriculture workshop for 24 farmers at the HAF Ag Park at Kunia.
- A $100 donation helps market and incubate the brands of a small farm through the Local Inside Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program.
- A $250 donation pays for an In the Fields trip, providing high school students with an educational, hands-on experience on what it takes to manage and work on a farm.
- A $500 donation works to bring a year-long, free education program, like Veggie U Hawaii, into a classroom. Through these programs, students learn why farming is important and how food is grown by working with classroom garden kits.
From our ohana to yours, we invite you to kick off the holiday season, when many focus their energy on end-of-year spending, by giving back.
The Hawaii Agricultural Foundation is seeking new restaurants to join in on the 2018 Localicious Hawaii campaign! As the largest statewide restaurant initiative, chefs and their eateries have the opportunity to continue their commitment to the local agriculture industry support ag-focused education in K-12 classrooms.
Being a Localicious Hawaii participant is as easy as pie! Throughout the month of March, our dining partners designate one or more menu items that incorporate locally grown, caught or raised products as their Localicious dishes. For every dish sold, one dollar is donated towards the expansion of ag-focused education programs in K-12 classrooms.
HAF aims to recruit over 300 Hawaii-based restaurants to participate in Localicious Hawaii’s 2018 fundraising efforts. All proceeds garnered throughout March will help fund our free education programs, which gives students and teachers the tools they need to engage in interactive ag- and science-focused activities.
If your restaurant is interested in joining, or if you know a restaurant that you think would be interested, please email email@example.com or call (808) 927-9749.
EAT THINK DRINK: The Future of Food Friendships has been postponed to 2018. Please save the date for the next EAT THINK DRINK, scheduled for Monday, January 29, 2018 at THE MODERN HONOLULU.
Did you know you can become best pals with your nearby farmer through the Local Inside Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program? Our team has been interviewing small farmers throughout the island to help you get to know the people that are growing your food. These farmers work day-in and day-out to make sure they are providing the highest quality products to Local Inside CSA members and to show their appreciation to customers that support their business.
Check out a small handful of our farmer stories, including:
- Meet Lokoea Farms: The Fruit Basket of Oahu's Fabled North Shore
- Meet the Fung Guy Behind Small Kine Farm: How One Grower Has Transformed Others’ Waste into a Portabella Empire
- The Fourth Generation of Kahuku Farms — How a Family Trio Transformed North Shore’s Commercial Agro-Tourism Industry
PS - Throughout the next few months, we’ll be adding more fun farm bios for you to read, save and love. Stay tuned!