From Keiki in the Kitchen with Mika the Sous Chef. Click here to purchase the cookbook!
A quick delicious snack to share with your keiki and ohana.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
• 2 red apples, washed, cored and diced
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• 1 stalk celery, washed and diced
• 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
• 1 head local butter lettuce, washed and sliced into ½-inch pieces
• 1 cup local yogurt (Naked Cow Dairy preferred)
• 2 packages of splenda or other low-calorie sweetener
• Pinch of salt
• 1 cup red grapes washed, stems removed
• 1 cup cooked red quinoa
• 4 mason jars
1. Dice the apples and toss in lemon juice, dice the celery, chop the walnuts, slice the butter lettuce in 1/2” pieces. In a separate bowl, mix yogurt, splenda and a pinch of salt.
2. To assemble the salad, divide the ingredients evenly in each of the four jars, starting with the yogurt mixture at the very bottom.
3. Place the grapes on top of the yogurt.
4. Next, fill a good portion of the jar with lettuce.
5. On top of the lettuce, add the cooked quinoa, along with the diced celery.
6. To finish off the salad, pack with the apples and sprinkle the walnuts on top. Seal and refrigerate.